Saturday, June 6, 2009

NEXT Day...I lost track

Thursday May 28th

We went to the Great Wall and I climbed more stairs than I have ever climbed in my life. There was no rhyme or reason to the stairs. Whatever size the Chinese builders had decided that day was the size of the step. In some places it was so steep it was nearly vertical.

“Wow it’s so steep.” –Ayumi
“Yea, it’s almost like a wall.” –Jake ← Quote of the day…um I think it is a wall.

I displayed my awesome energy by being the first one up, however I grandma-ed the whole way down and everyone was waiting for me. I found I had to keep walking because if I stopped my legs would start shaking convulsively. At the end, there is a sign which says (in Chinese, and of course I am almost fully literate now) “Unless you have climbed The Great Wall, you are not a real man.” Well, thank goodness this day has finally come. I will now return to the USofA a real man. I know all the ladies will be very happy. But I still haven’t peed standing up as the Chinese do (male and female)…maybe tomorrow.


At one point I was walking along a road with little shops and red Chinese lanterns and other Chinese decorations, while Chinese music played in the background and I found myself thinking, “wow this almost feels like China.” I had to stop and remind myself that it is China.


MORE TRANSLATION WOES

I also learned how to say: “I would like to sleep right now.” So my Korean friend told me I should say this to the guy at the front desk in the lobby. I don’t know why I listened to her. He looked at me funny and just as I said this, my Taiwanese friends came out and they said, “Jake, you really shouldn’t say that because it’s like an invitation.”

So basically I asked a Chinese guy to sleep with me. My Chinese is getting really good. I am learning so much. I’m making Mom and Dad proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment