Saturday, June 6, 2009

DAY 4

Wednesday May 27th

There is something completely wonderful about walking the streets of a foreign country alone- especially early in the morning. Why is it that all foreign cities have a similar smell? It’s a combination of smoke, cabbage and a general musty smell.

I discovered a secret Chinese stone garden. This seems to be a popular spot for the youth of the day. They come here to recite English out-loud. It is entertaining. When they don’t know word they repeat it 8 times and sound like a broken record. I feel like I have a secret power because I can speak English and they can’t!

After finishing my Chinese lesson for the day I ran into my teacher. We had a conversation in Chinese.

“Hello teacher.”
“Hello Jake”
“What would you like to do right now?”
“I would like to drink water.”
“I also would like to drink water, teacher. I am thirsty. Good-bye”

No comments:

Post a Comment